Property Brief: 6 Seminary Avenue, Hopewell – Harry L. Cox, Barber
6 Seminary Ave. is a narrow building built by Harry L. Cox as a barber shop in 1906 when he was 21. The shop was expanded several times, but was gone by the late 1950s.
Harry Lester Cox (1885 – 1945) was a Hopewell institution. He later bought and then lived in the corner property (21 East Broad). His son Raymond Cox also operated a barber shop there. In his spare time, Cox also managed the Hope Theatre (16 Seminary) in the early 1920s.
Harry Cox also helped train and partnered with other local barbers, as the business became Cox & Cray in the early 1920s, and then transferred to Cronce & Cray after Harry Cox’s death in 1945.
Tag – HwBoro
File – 2022-HwBoro-Cox-Barber-Seminary-Brief-HvHist.pdf