This is a 1956 video of the Titusville July 4th Parade and Water Show. The Titusville July 4th Celebration started in 1945, so this was the 11th annual event. It takes place along River Drive in Titusville, and on the adjacent Delaware River.
The 22-minute video starts with scenes around Titusville, including views from the water, buildings and streets on land, and on the docks, preparing boats for the water show.
Next comes the Titusville parade passing in review with commentary, including Mrs. Titusville, the baby parade, bands, the Fire Company, Cub Scouts, and Boat Club.
The video then shifts to a variety of scenes on the river, including water skiing formations and ski jumping. Then comes the annual Water Show, with commentary, describing the boats passing in parade, water skiing, ski jumping, a five-man pyramid, and boat racing.
The video concludes with “Niagara Falls” fireworks, before “good night.”
Thanks to Pat Brundage for sharing this wonderful slice of history.
We welcome other videos from our past. See the History Project YouTube channel for more historically interesting video clips of life and events around the Hopewell Valley – back to the early 1940s.
- 0:40 – Titusville scenes from river – and around town
– Union Fire Co., road signs, canal, church, kids on river, etc.
- 2:50 – People preparing for water show – Splicing rope, dock in water, ski jump
- 4:30 – Voice Over – Preparing in the water – Setting up ski jump
- 5:15 – People preparing – policeman – “coming along swell” – Mrs. Titusville
- 6:10 – VO – 11th Annual Titusville July 4th Celebration and Fun Festival, started 1945
- 7:00 – VO – Mrs. Titusville, baby parade with floats
- 8:35 – VO – Start of main parade – Band, Fire Co., Cub Scouts, Boat Club
- 10:00 – VO – New vantage point – start of parade – Band
- 10:50 – River scenes – On dock, preparing boats, boats in water, lined up
- 12:30 – Boats on water, in docks
- 13:20 – Water skiing – Formations
- 14:30 – Water skiing – Jumping
- 16:00 – Water skiing – At jump
- 16:20 – Boat & Ski Club – Annual Water Show – ‘Ski Olympics”
– Pass in review, parade of contestants, Hawaiian Rhythmic Dancing skiing, clown
– Ski jumping over & under, popping balloons, five-man pyramid – Boat racing
- 20:25 – VO – Fireworks – Niagara Falls, Good night
- 21:30 – End
More on Town Events
See also Memorial Day
Hopewell – Harvest Fair, Community Day, Fire Dept. and Legion Carnivals
- Hopewell Harvest Fair – Photos
- Hopewell Harvest Fair Almanacs (1987-) and Community Day
- Harvest Fair Wooden Car Derby – 1983 – 2006
- 1978 American Legion Carnival – Gary Saretzky
- The Legion Carnival Train and Booths
- 1939 Hopewell Carnival Mystery Photo
Pennington – Pennington Day
Titusville – Fourth of July
- Titusville 1956 July 4th Parade and Water Show – and video