– Explore the Hopewell History Map (separate site) –
The interactive Hopewell History Map uses a map interface to explore information and images on historical properties in Hopewell Borough (as currently available). It is built on the familiar Google Maps platform, and so has the usual map controls (map type, zoom, pan), plus additional historical property annotations displayed as street numbers and thumbnail images.
This is a work in progress, designed to be open for adding additional historical information and images. Comments welcome.
Browse Properties in Map and Table: Explore street addresses by panning and zooming in the Map or scrolling in the Property Table. Click an address to view information and images on that property in the Info Panel.
Historical places are in red with “^” prefix; other addresses are in blue. Icons indicate additional information available: images (house “⌂”) and documents (square “□”).
Image Panel: Cycle through images of a property – historical and current-day, buildings and streetscapes – by clicking left/right in the Info Panel.
Click the top property address heading to view additional information and open a site survey document. Click the bottom image name caption to view additional information on the image and open the images full-size.
Property Thumbnails: View image thumbnails for each property by zooming in on the Map.
“Then” (Historic) Images: By default, the Map thumbnails and the Info Panel show “Then” property images.
“Now” (Current-Day) Images: View “Now” property images for the Map thumbnails and in the Info Panel.
Click the Now/Then control on the top right of the header to alternate between displaying the oldest and most recent images available for the property.
Step by Date: Animate the growth of Hopewell Borough by stepping through time from circa 1850 to 1910.
Click the Date control to show only the places known to have existed by that date. Step back to “Date” to show all properties (the default).
Options/Help: Display a dialog with display options and links for more information by clicking the Options/Help button (top right).
View By Sources: View only the properties listed in a specific source document in the Source Only menu (see below).
Documents: Click in the property heading in the Info Panel to display the associated source survey document (if available).
Images: Click in the image name caption in the Info Panel to open the images in a full-size window.
The Hopewell History Map is designed to be used in standard Web browsers (e.g., Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Edge). The interface is designed for use on computer displays and on mobile tablet devices. The display does automatically simplify for smaller windows and smartphone screens, but is limited. This volume of information does not fit well on smaller smartphone displays, and smartphone browsers have difficulty with full-screen Web apps.
Panels and Controls
Fixed window layout with Map, Table, and Info panels. Reduces to only the Map and Info panel on smaller screens (smartphones).
- Street Map (top panel) – Standard Google map with Google Points of Interest icons, plus historical annotations (street numbers)
- Property Table (bottom left panel) – Table of all properties (street addresses) in Hopewell Boro, with additional information including historic name / date, Block/Lot numbers, Latitude/Longitude, and the number of associated images (if any)
- Info Panel (bottom right panel) – Displays information about the selected property, plus slide show of associated images (if any). Click the property information header for a link to property survey document, and the image name caption for a link to view the images full size
- Options/Help (“hamburger”) button (top right) – Click for options and links
Street Map (top panel)
Standard Google Map, annotated with historical information (street numbers) for all Hopewell Borough properties
- “Hw” Marker – Click to re-center and re-zoom the map to the default position
- [Always visible – The street address numbers are only displayed when zoomed in to a few blocks]
- Properties – Red and blue street numbers
- [Desktop] Hover to display abbreviated address and historical information
- Click to display additional information (in Map pop-up, Table, and Info panel)
- Historical places (blue numbers, “^” prefix) – Display additional information
- Sites with imagery (house “⌂” icon) – Display images in the Info panel
- Sites with documents (square “□” icon) – Click link in Info Panel heading
- Google Points of Interest (names and icons) – Click to display info
- Google Property Information – Double click on map background to display info
- Draws a marker with pop-up at the nearest property found
- Draws a yellow rectangle around the associated property bounds (if found)
Property Table (bottom left panel)
Table of all properties (street addresses) in Hopewell Boro, with additional information
- Click a row to display the selected property on the Map and Info window
- Click in the column headers to sort ascending/descending
- Click the menu in the column headers to filter the column values (press and hold on mobile devices). For example, in the Date column, enter “1” to select only the rows containing any historical properties (i.e., with an 1800’s or 1900’s date)
- Columns include historic Date (can be circa or by) and Description, Sources for historic information (see below), number of Images and Documents (if any), Block/Lot numbers, Old Block/Lot numbers (for Hopewell Boro pre 1994), and GPS Lat/Long. “Tax” is the tax address of the property (if different from the street address).
Information Viewer (bottom right panel)
Displays information about the selected property, with associated images (if any)
- Displays associated images (street number has house icon “⌂”)
- Click left/right sides to step to previous/next image
- Image caption displays image count (e.g., “[2/3]” for second of three images)
- Property title shows street address (top left)
- Click to display more information on the property
- Information includes address, historic name and date (if any), source for historic information (see below), number of images and documents (if any), Block/Lot, and Lat/Long
- Click View Document link to display the associated historical site survey document in a separate window (street number has square icon “□”)
- Image caption shows image name (bottom)
- Click to display more information on the image (from the name), including street, number, date, type (photo/postcard), description, and source
- Descriptions of the form “ss_Blackwell_north” are a streetscape view along the street from an intersection in the specified compass direction
- Click Full Screen link to display the image in a separate window
Help / Options Dialog
Click the Help/Options (“hamburger”) button (top right in header) for Help links and display options.
- Places Options
- Source Only – Use the drop-down menu to show address markers only for historic places found in places listed in a specific source document or reference map. Select “Show All Places” to display all known addresses in the town (the default), or “Show all Historic Places” to display all known historic places.
- Updates both Map and Table, and updates count after Places header.
- Map Options
- Show Map Place Thumbnails – Check to show image thumbnail when a property is selected, and for all properties when zoomed in. Uncheck to show only the addresses and not image thumbnails.
- Show Map Place Popups – Check to show place information pop-ups when addresses are clicked on the Map. Uncheck to not show popups, i.e., when quickly clicking through multiple addresses.
- Show Google Points of Interest – Check to show Google Maps points of interest icons (default). Uncheck to hide the Google POI markers.
- Image Options
- Show Newest Image First – Check to show the most current available image for selected addresses in the Info Panel. Uncheck to show the oldest (first) image (default).
- Links / Help
- Town Maps – Hopewell Boro – Click to display Historic Town Maps of Hopewell Boro, c. 1850 to early 1900’s, showing locations and names of properties.
- Help / About the History Map – Click to show this Help / About page (in a new window).
- Main History Project Site – Click to launch the main Hopewell History Project site (in a new window).
Historical Sources and Dates
The current list of historical properties on the map (street numbers in blue) is assembled from several sources, including the 1985 Hopewell Borough Cultural Resource Survey (a.k.a. “Site Survey“) and historical books and maps.
Use the Date control to view only the properties that existed as of that date (i.e., found in one or more sources or on one or more maps as of that date). Use the Source Only menu in the Options/Help dialog to view only the properties listed in a specific source.
The date listed for a property is derived from one or more sources, and may be an exact year (if known), or circa an approximate year (“c”), or no later than a specific year (“by” the date of a published book or map).
The historical sources currently used:
- Up to 1875 – Listed in the Site Survey, covering properties up to 1875
- Up to 1891 – Listed in “Buildings Existing when Boro Incorporated March 1891“, from Hopewell’s Past by Betty Gantz (1987), based on the Fowler 1887 map
- 1897 – Found in the Healthful Historic Hopewell booklet (1897) by Normer Gray
- 1909 – Found in the 1909 Hopewell N.J. booklet by Fry & Whitehead
(These sources are listed in the “Srcs” column in the Property Table, abbreviated as S/G/H/9.)
The 1985 Site Survey is the definitive N. J. Historic Preservation Office reference, listing historic properties up to 1875. The maps used as the key references for the Site Survey are also listed in the menu (as “SS”); selecting one of these maps will display only the places that the Site Survey identifies as appearing on the corresponding map. (As a result, for example, the 1902 selection does not list any additional properties from after 1875; it only lists the pre-1875 properties in the Site Survey that also appear on the later map.)
- Otley & Keily, 1849 – Map of Mercer County, N. J.
- Lake & Beers, 1860 – Map of the Vicinity of Phila. and Trenton
- Everts & Stewart, 1875 – Combination Atlas Map of Mercer County, N. J.
- Fowler, 1887 – Hopewell N. J. (Panoramic aerial view)
- Scarlett & Scarlett, 1890 – Fire Map of Mercer County, N. J.
- Sanborn Map Co., 1902 – Fire Insurance Maps of Hopewell, Mercer Co., N. J.
(The full list of reference sources and maps are abbreviated in the “Refs” column in the Property Table, listed in the same order, and abbreviated as the first letter plus the last two digits of the date.)
Standard Google Map Controls
- Map/Satellite Control (top left)
- Map – Show default Google street map
- Check Terrain to add terrain background
- Shows approximate property lines and shapes of buildings (in gray)
- Annotated with street names (when zoomed in to a few blocks)
- Annotated with Google Places icons (municipal and businesses, when zoomed in to the town) – click for more information (as stored by Google)
- Satellite – Show Google satellite aerial view
- Check Labels to add street and property labels
- Map – Show default Google street map
- Zoom Control (+/-) (bottom left)
- Click +/- to zoom in and out one step
- [Desktop] – Use mouse wheel to zoom in/out
- [Mobile]- Pinch/spread with two fingers to zoom in/out
- [Desktop] – Drag to pan the map in the window
- [Mobile] – Drag with two fingers
- 200331 – March 2020 Updates
- 200329 – Tour the Hopewell Boro Historic District
- Now have over 640 current-day photos covering the entire historic district, covering over 460 properties
- 200307 – Step Through Growth of Early Hopewell Boro – c 1850 to 1910
- Display only historic places in selected sources, or on selected maps
- 200318 – Hopewell Then and Now
- Show image thumbnails on map with property addresses
- View “Then” (historical) or “Now” (current-day) images
- 200329 – Tour the Hopewell Boro Historic District
- 201029 – February 2020 Updates
- 200212 – Add over 215 current-day images of Hopewell Boro
- 200212 – Add 32 historic places from Site Survey
- 200219 – Add historic places from 1887 Fowler map
- 200131 – January 2020 Updates
- Add full-screen slideshow of property images
- Add Cultural Resource Survey reports (PDF)
- Add Options Dialog – Show Only Historic Places
- 200110 – First prototype Hopewell History Map