Are you interested in historic sites, streets, and buildings in the Hopewell Valley? Maybe our new collection of over 2700 pages on over 1000 local sites could help! (Search in the Book Archives for “Cultural Resource Survey” for the full list.)
The N. J. Historic Preservation Office has just completed digitizing five Cultural Resource surveys (aka Historic Sites surveys) of the Hopewell area, with documentation on individual historic buildings and streets in Hopewell Township, Hopewell Borough, and Pennington Borough:
- 1985 Hopewell Borough survey (207 pages, with 54 buildings and 56 streetscapes)
- 1985 Pennington Borough survey (509 pages, ~77+ properties)
- 1985 Hopewell Township survey – Part 2 – Part 3 (1121 pages, 72 roads, ~350 properties)
- 2003 Hopewell Township survey (453 pages, 45 properties, 124 buildings)
- 2016 Pennington Borough survey (416 pages, 131 buildings)
The base 1985 survey includes documentation on historic sites up to 1875, with discussions of their history and architecture, and associated photographs. The later follow-up surveys then add new information, particularly to aid in registering our historic landmarks.
We also have added two additional documents to help make sense of this incredible volume of material, with an overview of the contents of each survey and indexes to the included sites:
- Hopewell Area Cultural Resource Surveys (1985 – 2016) – Contents of each survey
- Hopewell Borough 1985 Cultural Resource Survey – Index of buildings and streets
We have run text recognition on these PDF documents so they are searchable, although be aware that the processing of these old typewritten documents is not exact, and therefore some of the text has not been identified correctly.
We welcome volunteers to do a more complete job of indexing the Pennington Borough and Hopewell Township materials.
1 thought on “Hopewell Area Cultural Resource Surveys”
[…] brief background on the history of 47 West Broad Street, taken especially from the 1985 Cultural Resource Survey of Hopewell Borough. The building was primarily a general store on the larger left side from the second half of the […]