Next week, May 22 – 31, 2021, is Hopewell Valley Heritage Week, celebrating the rich heritage of the Hopewell Valley with a full week of events, some virtual and others outdoors.
This year’s theme is Trains, Planes & Automobiles – American Indian to Modern Day Transportation in Hopewell Valley.
And to celebrate we have two historical slide shows:
Historical images of Hopewell, Pennington, Titusville, and Hopewell Township, including:
- Trains – Train engines and train stations, trolleys, canals and boats
- Automobiles – Cars and trucks and fire engines, horses and sleds
- Planes – Aerials of towns and the Township
“Then & now” images of the industrial buildings along Railroad Place in Hopewell Borough, including historic images showing changes over time, aerial views, and other artifacts.
Designed to accompany the Railroad Place walking tour for Heritage Week, and the later talk coming up in June.
When viewing the slide show, use the playback controls to Pause or Play the slideshow, and use the Previous / Next arrows to step withing the slides at any time.
Both slideshows are posted as part of the Image Gallery of the Hopewell Valley History Project, with over 1900 images, also including historical and current-day images organized by town, artwork of local landmarks, and images of local mementos and remembrances.
See the Hopewell Valley Heritage Week Events page for a full list of the upcoming events during the week:
- Ongoing Activities – Road Rally, Pennington Scavenger Hunt
- Events – Industrial Hopewell Historical Walking Tour, Classic Car show and Ice cream Social, The Art of Flying, Walking Tour of the Drake Farmstead
- Talks – American Indian Trails in Hopewell Valley, Washington Crossing: The Rest of the Story, The Mercer & Somerset and the Frog War
- Memorial Day Services – Stoutsburg Cemetery Service, Service at the Pennington African Cemetery
- Parades – Hopewell Borough and Pennington Memorial Day Parades
See Industrial Hopewell: Railroad Place for links to the tour handout, associated briefs for the individual properties, and schedules of tours and talks.