Have you noticed the interesting buildings as you drive into Hopewell Borough on West Broad Street past the Hopewell Presbyterian Church?
The five buildings on both sides of the street between Lanning and Louellen Aves. (as the road curves down to the light) all have historical connections to the Presbyterian Church. They include a former schoolhouse, a now-rotated former church, and one of the oldest buildings in Hopewell. (View on the Hopewell History Map.)
== Read the full brief to Explore Historic Hopewell at Broad & Louellen Streets (PDF) ==
This is a tour guide to Broad & Louellen streets, including a quick-reference summary for exploring these buildings along the street, with side-by-side historic images compared to current-day buildings, plus additional detail on the history of the buildings from various sources.
These historic buildings are:
- Hopewell Academy ‐ 75 West Broad Street (1855) – Originally the public school
- Presbyterian Chapel ‐ 79 West Broad Street (1877) – The first Presbyterian Church
- Presbyterian Manse ‐ 83 West Broad Street (1892) – The original manse building
- Hopewell Presbyterian Church ‐ 80 West Broad Street (1915) – The current church
- Phillips House ‐ 86‐88 West Broad Street (<1785) – A very early Hopewell building
PS: There’s actually a second local church that has a connection to these buildings. You can find out more in the Anniversary booklets that we have just posted for the Hopewell Calvary Baptist Church (1966) and St. Alphonsus Church (1977).
More on Hopewell Valley Churches
Historical information on Hopewell Valley churches.
See also the Document Archive for historical books on local churches.
- Hopewell Boro Church Anniversary Booklets (1966 & 1977)
- Calvary Baptist Church – 95th Anniversary book – 1966 – with extensive history (PDF) Calvary Baptist Church – Anniversary (1941) and Dedication of New Front (1952) – with histories (Pamphlet Collection)
- Hopewell Presbyterian – Broad and Louellen – History and Brief – 2020
- Old School Baptist Church – Special Services (1993, 1993) – with histories (Pamphlet Collection)
- St. Alphonsus Church – 100th Anniversary book – 1977 – with extensive history (PDF)
- St. Alphonsus Church – Directory extracts – 2000 & 2010 – with history (Pamphlet Collection)
- Second Calvary Baptist Church – History and Brief – 2021
- Historic Churches of Pennington Borough Open House – 4/26/2015 – with histories (PDF)
- St. James Church – Cook Book extract – 1965 – with history (PDF)